Tuesday 1 June 2010

Stew, stew, barley and nibs


I have done SO much cooking this weekend. I got a load of groceries in on Friday to make up for all the time I’ve been away and immediately started cooking. Here are a few examples of what I’ve been up to.

Pearl Barley with lemon. You boil up a load of pearl barley along with a generous pinch of salt and the juice and rind of a lemon. It takes about 20-30 minutes to cook through. I like making up a big batch and using it for various things during the week. It’s a nice little side dish to anything meaty, but also good thrown on top of salads or added to stews or soups at the last minute. A really quick meal can be made by frying up half an onion and adding a couple of spoonfuls of the lemon pearl barley and a mug full of chicken stock. It’s not far off a pot noodle for speed, but doesn’t make you feel dirty and soulless inside.

Stewed apple and rhubarb. 3 small sticks of rhubarb and a couple of eating apples stewed with a little sugar. I’ve been having this with yoghurt and granola for breakfast the past couple of mornings, but I fully intend to make a crumble with it as well. When I do, I will be featuring cocoa nibs as part of the crumble mix.

I picked this bag up from Rococo on a recent trip to London, and I’m so glad I spotted it. I used to have a big bag of nibs that I brought back from a trip to Paris but I ran out a few months ago and hadn’t found anywhere local that supplied them. If you haven’t seen them before they are broken up pieces of the unprocessed nut, or nib, of the cocoa pod. They taste nutty and chocolatey without being sweet, and you can use them for sweet or savoury dishes. They really help a crumble topping along but I’ve been known to put them in everything from porridge to chilli. Toast them with a handful of nuts for something earthy and aromatic to snack on.

I also made some Greek Lamb Stew, but I don't have a photo of it yet, so here is an artist's impression.

This is my stand-by stew recipe. If I’m in the mood to make stuff I stew up a big batch of this and let it feed me on and off through the week. It gets better after a couple of days, so making it ahead of time is really the best way to go.

Take a about ½ - 1 pound of diced lamb. The cut of meat isn’t hugely important, but the fattier the better (in my opinion). Sear the lamb in hot oil, then remove and leave to rest. Fry up some spices in the same oil. I’ll leave the exact combination up to your own preferences, but cinnamon and cloves are essential. I also add ground coriander seeds and cracked black pepper. Add crushed garlic, 2 roughly chopped carrots, 2 peeled and chopped potatoes, and 4 – 6 small shallots or onions. Try to leave these whole or just cut in half. Stir these through the spices, then put the meat back in the pot. Add 2 tins chopped tomatoes and a little extra water so that everything is covered. Leave on the stove, lid off, on a very low heat for at least a couple of hours. By this time it should be reduced and sticky, and the meat should be falling apart.

I have lots more to write about, but I think I should pace myself. Join us for the next exciting episode of Eat It! Guest starring Dirk Benedict as Lt. Columbo.

1 comment: