Sunday 7 November 2010

Sammidges: an addendum

I admit, I have been negligent in my duties. There is simply no way I have the time or space to document all the fine, upstanding sammidges I have known in my time. It has been brought to my attention that I have left out an important member of the Sammidge Hall of Fame, so I will attempt to rectify this here.

Egg mixed up in a cup sandwich. Also known by the acronym EMU.What happens, right, is you take and egg and break it into a cup. Then, using a fork, you mix it up. You have now mixed an egg in a cup.

Now pay attention. You fry the egg (that has been mixed up in a cup) in a little frying pan. Preferably in butter. Then you put it in a sandwich.

I know what you’re thinking. You’re thinking that this is basically a fried egg sandwich with a broken yolk. That is absolutely not what this is. First of all, the clue is in the name – this is an egg mixed up in a cup sandwich. Secondly, a fried egg sandwich with a broken yolk just makes crispy yolk that tastes a bit burnt. The EMU (as it is known), tastes more like an omelette, but thinner and crispier like a fried egg. It is the perfect cross between the two, and an excellent sandwich filling.

I will now pause for a moment, as no doubt your minds have just been blown. I know, right? It’s so obvious, it’s like it was staring you in the face the whole time. The EMU is the way forward, people.

Another benefit of the EMU is its affinity to sauces. This is a sandwich you can add a lot of flavour to, as the egg is like a delicious bathroom mat that absorbs any drips of stuff you care to throw in its direction. A notable mention should go to my brother’s personal favourite: Los EMU Diablo. Various chilli sauces and peppers are added until the eating of the sandwich can technically be called an act of self-harm.

I can also verify that the EMU is also excellent with the following additions:

- Cheese (especially Boursin)
- Bacon- Tomato slices
- Tapenade
- Crisps.

As Neil Buchanan would advise: try it yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment