Sunday 25 July 2010

It's another Tempura Sunrise

Yesterday morning I was dozing off a little when I dreamt that I was walking past a nightclub and met a homeless magician who was upset because his top hat was full of pancake batter and it was so thick and gloopy that he couldn't pull the rabbits out. Naturally, I told him to try tempura instead. Then the landlord of a pub I frequent suddenly appeared and demanded the recipe to tempura batter. I got flustered and started talking about something else. He got angrier and angrier and started shouting at me to tell him how to make tempura. I woke up feeling a little tense.

I now have two options. I can analyse my dream and try to work out what my subconscious is trying to tell me by signalling some hidden anxiety about an unknown issue. Or, I can explain tempura right now so if I am ever confronted like that again I can simply direct them here. No prizes for guessing which option I have taken.

Tempura is a very thin and light batter designed to barely cover something before it is deep fried. It only takes thirty seconds or so to turn the batter golden brown, so it's best used on something that doesn't require much cooking - courgette flowers, herbs, thinly sliced vegetables, or fruit. I mainly use it to make fruit fritters with a mix of apples, bananas, and pineapple if I have any.

The quick version is to mix cornflour and water (sparkling or tonic water if you have it) until you get a paste about the consistency of single cream. Mix your fruit or veg in the paste until mostly covered, and fry. Don't make the paste too smooth - the lumpy bits go all crunchy and are part of the appeal of tempura.

So, unconscious representation of an acquaintance of mine, I hope you're happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment