Saturday 4 September 2010

Lemon Sauce Pudding vs. The Scales of Justice


Regular readers may have noticed by now that I am often a little non-specific when it comes to amounts needed in recipes. My standard basic unit of measurement is ‘some’.



Yeah, about that much.

This is not because I am a particularly intuitive cook who simply doesn’t need to measure anything but, sadly, out of necessity. The last pair of scales I owned were so wildly inaccurate that I figured I’d be best off without them, and never bothered replacing them. Mainly I’ve been able to get along more or less ok without, but my baking adventures have definitely taken a hit. I’m fine with biscuits and cakes where I’ve made them so many times I can get away without using scales, but it’s really difficult to follow a new recipe by guesswork alone. Well no longer!

The tables have turned and the Scales of Justice have arrived! (£1 from Save the Children, if you’re curious). I celebrated their arrival by making a pudding that I loved as a child, and demanded my mother make as often as I could without getting glared at. Lemon Sauce Pudding is that creature, and she is a beauty.

The attraction of this pudding is the fact that it separates during cooking to make a light sponge on top and a thick lemony sauce underneath. It is the coolest thing.

Y’all be needin:

2oz Plain flour

2oz butter 4 oz caster sugar
2 eggs, separated
Juice and zest of 1 lemon
8fl oz milk


Cream the butter and sugar together and beat in the egg yolks. Fold in the sifted flour. Add the zest and juice, and slowly mix in the milk. At this point it will look curdled. This is because it has curdled. It will look dreadful. But stick with it, this is what helps it to separate during cooking. Does that sound right? It sounds about right. Yeah, let’s say that’s what it is.

Whisk the egg white until it stands in stiff peaks, and fold into the sloppy, curdled mess. Pour into a greased baking dish and cook for 30-40 min in a moderate oven - About Gas Mark 4, I should say..

I would recommend a deep rather than a shallow dish, as this keeps it from drying out and the sauce stays all... saucy.


7 comments:

  1. And, also, it was so faffy what with the grating the zest and separating eggs and bain maries and stuff. I was a working mum with PE kits to wash every three weeks, and an apple or banana for afters was a lot easier. And the pudding was a lot nicer when you made it anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I demand a taste test. DEMAND.

    fondest

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well that's fine. Because I don't mind making it, and I won't glare at you for asking. So I guess we're all happy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aileen - I am making this for you tomorrow night. Will report back. YUM.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Due to complete cake/cheese/wine over-indulgence, I had to postpone the making of this until tonight. It was GOOD. It did not curdle. I read in the National Trust Traditional Teatime Treats recipe book that curdling occurs when the eggs are taken straight from the refrigerator, so maybe that could explain your curdliness? Anyway, many thanks for the recipe. Dr Z liked it too. YUM.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Damn National Trust. Always showing me up. That is an excellent tip, I shall try it in future.

    ReplyDelete