Monday 5 July 2010

Medicinal Mini Pavlovas


When some people get ill they crave something hearty to rebuild them, or fruit for the vitamins. I just need sugar. It’s the only thing that seems to work.

Tonsillitus, now, that’s a bitch. I know what it sounds like, but it is so much worse than just a sore throat. When I had it as a kid it was so bad that I was rushed to hospital with suspected meningitis. Last time I had it I was in such a state that my bed-sheets were permanently damp from fever and I had some rather vivid hallucinations. I don’t know if I just react badly to that type of infection, but the world needs to be told that it’s not all bed rest and ice cream. For one thing I couldn’t eat any ice cream. It lay too heavily on my stomach and made me nauseous. I needed sugar, and these little pavlovas were the only thing that kept me going. It had sugar that would melt in my mouth without hurting my throat, a little bit of thick cream for substance, and sharp fruit with lots of vitamin C. Basically this is the greatest medicine of all time and I intend to lobby to make it available on the NHS.

You will need:

A ready-made meringue nest or two.
Double cream lightly whipped, or clotted cream. Squirty cream will do in a pinch.
Your choice of fruit as topping. Raspberries would be a classic, and passionfruit is particularly good. In the picture here I’ve used tinned mandarins.

Assemble. Eat. Go back to bed. Feel better.

You can even eat them if you’re not ill, and they’re an excellent dinner party standby as they’re so quick to make. I’ve served them with warm spiced plums before as a nice wintry sweet, although they did melt the bottoms a little so best to tackle that one with a spoon rather than your hands.

No comments:

Post a Comment