Wednesday 14 July 2010

MORE Things I Like


This is another group of kitchen utensils of which I am inordinately fond.


Murder Pan

This was a birthday present from Pete. It’s a proper cast iron Le Creuset frying pan, and its usefulness is matched only by its potential for death and destruction. This is a seriously heavy pan. It’s absolutely perfect for getting a strong and even heat, and much better than my old cheap pans that are now warped beyond repair. Steaks in particular cook up a treat. More than anything, it’s good to know that you own something that can destroy the brain of any marauding zombie (or other unsavoury character), and then whip up some pancakes. I’m not kidding, this pan could easily kill someone. I have to pick it up with both hands, and I’m hardly frail. I guess this post is part showing off a fancy frying pan, and part warning to anyone who has considered breaking in to my house.


Rabbit Jelly Mould

I don’t imagine I need to describe this as it should have been a necessary feature of all childhoods. Just in case, it’s a jelly mould in the shape of a rabbit. I don’t know why a rabbit was chosen as the representative shape of gelatine based fruit desserts, but it was, and it is, and it shall always be so. I’ve been on a bit a retro jelly kick recently and have had a go at making raspberry, mandarin and cava jelly, and a gin and tonic jelly. Both turned out pretty well. I really like the idea of making boozy ‘adult’ jellies in a traditional rabbit mould, and the moulds themselves are really easy and cheap to get hold of. Get on it, people.


Fancy Schmancy Corkscrew

This is one of those posh, industrial strength corkscrews. It’s a bit intimidating to look at, but easy to use once you figure out what bit goes where. I wanted one for ages, but found them prohibitively expensive. That was until they started cropping up in charity shops everywhere. Honestly, go hunting round some charity shops or car boot sales, I guarantee it won’t take long to find one. It also makes you feel, like, intensely grown-up.


I still have a long list of things in my kitchen that it pleases me to own, so more of these will undoubtedly follow.

No comments:

Post a Comment